Friday, June 23, 2017

Don't Blink

I can remember so clearly, like it truly was yesterday, being overwhelmed by diapers and crying toddlers, and constantly having a little one on my hip. The days were long and chaotic, and there were times I thought it would never end.

There was such a big part of me then that wanted the "easier" times...all the kids potty trained, everyone knows what "no" means, and cooking one meal, serving plates, and no quirky little toddler requests.

I loved every second of my little ones being so tiny and needing me so much, but I think every mom who is going through those days wonders if they will truly survive.

When the twins were born, I had four children under the age of 4. And Khoen passed away almost 2 months before Makenna turned 4, so even then there were still 3 under 4, plus a broken mama.

I remember Kaisyn learning to walk. It was after she had turned 1, and I thought wow, now things will be better, because 2 can walk! Then, on his first birthday, Mikah took his first steps, and I just knew this was what I needed! All 3 can walk and play independently and life is going to be cake!....

Kaisyn was potty trained much sooner than Makenna...Makenna was stubborn and was almost 4 before she actually even started trying. I was terrified to even start with Kaisyn, but she made it so easy! She hated having a dirty diaper, so when I introduced the little potty, she took it up so quickly, I really don't even remember having to reward her more than a week for going, and she was able to wear panties! So I knew then I was down to 1 in diapers....I mean, I had this!

Then by the time he turned 3, Mikah was fully potty trained, and I thought to myself wow, I did it! I survived the diaper days, and all of my kids can talk to me and hold little conversations, and I will never miss changing so many diapers!

Makenna will be 9 in barely over a month, Kaisyn is 6, and Mikah is 5. Is that actually even possible? Sometimes videos come up on my Facebook "On This Day" and I'm like there's no way that was 3 years ago! That seriously seems like last week!

I can hear their little voices, the funny little words they would say when they meant something else, and the way they would tell me they love me in those tiny baby voices.

Makenna wanted me to hold her earlier, so I picked her up....all 63 pounds of her! And I thought to myself, there's no way this is the same tiny little baby girl I held so many years ago!

Life surely has changed. Now the battles are with attitudes, strong wills, and children who know much more than their mommy does...

They are so amazing. Absolutely incredible. And I am blessed beyond my wildest dreams.

All 3 begged to sleep with me tonight, and since it's a Friday, and it's summer, I have 1 in my bed, and 2 in my floor, and all 3 are snoring and happy. They still love me, and I'm still their best friend.

I know the upcoming years will bring a whole new set of challenges, so I'm going to soak in these years for now. I can't believe all 3 will be going to school this year. My tiny Mikah, a kindergartner....is that actually real life?!

But when I registered him, they gave him a little book to take home to practice for Kindergarten, and he is so smart. He's been working in that book without even being told to every day since, and practicing his letters and numbers, and he amazes me with how quickly he learns. Smart just like his sisters.

I honestly feel like I blinked, and 4 years have passed, and my life has been speeding right out from under my feet. So many memories, but they all seem like yesterday. I pray they always do.

So mamas, if you're in the chaos of multiple little ones, and the days seem long and like the other side is lightyears away, please don't blink. Don't wish them away. Because I promise they will be long gone before you even know it.

I know, mine are still babies (to me at least), but they are a whole different version of challenging. And again, I love every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment